Mobilizing to protect abortion access in response to TX Senate Bill 8
See Gender Justice’s SCOTUS Chat: Texas Abortion Ban Goes to the Supreme Court on Facebook, where Erin Maye Quade and Jess Braverman unpack the arguments at November’s hearing about SB8.
Read SWLC’s official statement on Texas Senate Bill 8.
Gender Justice and allies organized a Bans Off Our Bodies march and rally, joining thousands of Minnesotans on behalf of reproductive freedom. The events were part of a national day of action to show decision makers in Minnesota that they demand reproductive rights, freedom, and justice.
“With the Supreme Court’s refusal to intervene in a new Texas law banning abortion, the Court has sent a clear message: We cannot rely on them to protect our rights.Now is the time to fight harder than ever to protect and expand abortion access in Minnesota.”
Women’s Law Project also joined allies in hosting their own regional Bans Off Our Body march.
See below for some samples of press coverage highlighting Alliance org leadership in response to the SCOTUS ruling, including op-eds from GJ and WLP.
- Minnesota Reformer: Opinion – Minnesota must prepare for its role in a post-Roe world
- Philadelphia Inquirer: Opinion – Opinion – A governor’s veto pen is the only thing standing between Pa. and Texas-style abortion laws
- Star Tribune: Abortion rights supporters say Minnesota shouldn’t take its protections for granted
- The Morning Call: Texas-like abortion restriction law seen as ‘terrible sign of things to come’ or ‘necessary to save lives’ in Pennsylvania
- Star Tribune: Minnesota braces for influx of out-of-state abortion patients
- Spotlight PA: What Texas’ New Abortion Law Means For Pennsylvania
- Mac Weekly: Macalester students stand up for reproductive freedom
- CBS Pittsburgh: Texas Abortion Law Has Ramifications In Upcoming Pennsylvania Elections, Both Sides Say
- Star Tribune: DFL state lawmakers form new Reproductive Freedom Caucus
- KTOE: Opponents rally at MN Capitol against Texas abortion ban